Heilig-Geist-Spital (The Hospital of the Holy Spirit)
The Hospice of the Holy Spirit (Heilig-Geist-Spital) was built between 1332 and 1339 and was a foundation endowed by the rich Patrician Konrad Groß ("Imperial Mayor") for old and needy people, then considered the largest foundation donated by any individual in the Empire before 1500.
After 1500, following designs by Hans Beheim the Elder, it was expanded over the river Pegnitz with the "Sude" and the "Bau". Still standing today: the houses for the preacher in the "Sude" and for the administrator, along the southern arm of the river Pegnitz, as well as the northern wall of the former Hospice Church with its polygonal roof turret (Hans-Sachs-Platz). The chapel which was not reconstructed was the place where the Crown Jewels of the Empire were stored between 1424 and 1796.
In the "Hanselhof", Nuremberg's oldest larger bronze cast sculpture can be seen (created around 1380, original kept in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum). The "Crucifixion Courtyard" has the main elements of Adam Kraft's "Calvary" (around 1506/08) and the table monuments of the donators Konrad Groß (died 1356) and Herdegen Valzner (died 1423).
Today, the Hospice of the Holy Spirit is a municipal senior citizens' home.