Jump Navigation

From here, you can jump directly to the following areas:
Back to Jump Navigation

Stadt Nürnberg

Logo Stadt Nürnberg
Frühling in Nürnberg
Back to Jump Navigation
Back to Jump Navigation
Back to Jump Navigation
 

Tugendbrunnen (Fountain of the Virtues)  

Fountain of the Virtues

Fountain of the Virtues

In 1589, the iron caster, Benedikt Wurzelbauer, completed the Fountain of the Virtues (Tugendbrunnen), commissioned by the City Council of the Free City of the Empire who had intended to demonstrate their stature in the world. Six allegories of the three theological and the three cardinal virtues with their attributes are placed on a round platform: Faith with a cross and a chalice, Love with two children, Hope with an anchor, Courage with a lion, Moderation with a jug, and Patience with a lamb. Above the figures, cherubs carry the two coats of arms of the City of Nuremberg. The seventh virtue, Justice, stands on the top of the pillar with blindfolded eyes, a sword and a crane as a symbol of alertness. The fountain marks the spatial boundary of Lorenzer Platz towards Königsstraße.

 

Tugendbrunnen (Fountain of Virtues)

Karolinenstraße

90402 Nuremberg

external linkPublic Transportation

external linkCity Map

Back to Jump Navigation
Back to Jump Navigation
  •  
Back to Jump Navigation
Back to Jump Navigation

URL for this page:
<http://www.nuernberg.de/internet/portal_e/reiseziel/ctz_4604.html>