Jump Navigation

From here, you can jump directly to the following areas:
Back to Jump Navigation

Stadt Nürnberg

Logo Stadt Nürnberg
Frühling in Nürnberg
Back to Jump Navigation
Back to Jump Navigation
Back to Jump Navigation
 

St. Sebald (St. Sebaldus Church)  

St. Sebaldus' Church

St. Sebaldus' Church

Building work for the first late Romanesque pillared basilica started in 1230/40. The church was awarded the title of "Parish Church" as early as in 1255. It can be assumed that the church was completed by 1274/75. Between 1309 and 1345 the church was altered to widen the side aisles and increase the height of the steeples in high gothic style. The late gothic hall chancel was built between 1358 and 1379.

In the mid 17th century, the church interior was re-styled in the Baroque manner and galleries were added. After comprehensive damage during World War II, reconstruction started and in some sections is still continuing today. The exterior is richly decorated with sculptures. The most remarkable pieces are the Schreyer-Landauer epitaph by Adam Kraft (1490/92) and the various portals.

The rich interior dates back to the 14th to 16th century, including the Shrine of St. Sebaldus, works by Veit Stoß and the glass painting on the windows. Most works of art were endowed by Nuremberg Patrician families.

 

Panorama: St. Sebald

Panorama starten Panorama: St. Sebald

 

 

St. Sebald (St. Sebald Church)

Albrecht-Dürer-Platz 1

90403 Nuremberg

external linkPublic Transportation

external linkCity Map

Telephone +49(0)911 / 2 14 25 00

Fax +49(0)911 / 2 14 25 15

E-mailE-mail

Opening hours:

January to March: 9.30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
from April: 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

DownloadHours of business on holidays

Fully wheelchair accessible.

Back to Jump Navigation
Back to Jump Navigation
  •  
Back to Jump Navigation
Back to Jump Navigation

URL for this page:
<http://www.nuernberg.de/internet/portal_e/reiseziel/ctz_504.html>